When built in 1907/1908, The Burwell was the tallest building in downtown Knoxville. Constructed on the original site of Blount College, which later became the University of Tennessee. The Burwell is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Burwell is also home to The Tennessee Theatre, Knoxville's Grand Entertainment Palace. A recent $23.5 million renovation has fully restored The Tennessee to its original Spanish-Moorish grandeur. The official state theater of Tennessee, the theater is now home to the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra and the Knoxville Opera Company, and has been transformed into a truly spectacular performing arts center.
In 2006, Cardinal renovated the 10 story Burwell office tower, converting the top 8 floors of the building into luxury condominiums, the mezzanine level and second floor into Class A office space housing Metro Pulse (Knoxville's Weekly Voice) and Knoxville Magazine and the ground floor into retail space which is now the home to Clancy Optical Company.